January 27, 2020
The basketball, and sporting world has lost a giant with the death of legend Kobe Bryant, who perished in a helicopter crash.To remember Bryant, we celebrate his life and rich legacy through his words.
This Is Africa
The basketball, and sporting world has lost a giant with the death of legend Kobe Bryant, who perished in a helicopter crash.
Bryant and his daughter Gianna were among nine people killed in the crash in Calabasas, California. Bryant, 41, and Gianna, 13, were travelling in a private helicopter when disaster struck. The helicopter crashed and burst into flames, killing everyone on board.
Widely regarded as one of the greatest basketball players of all time, Kobe transcended basketball and sport, and he influenced, and touched the lives of millions across the world.
Tributes from basketball fans, political leaders from across the world, celebrities and fellow sports stars have been pouring in, with touching statements and messages posted on social media.
The “Black Mamba,” as he he was widely called, Bryant played his entire 20-season career in the National Basketball Association (NBA) with the Los Angeles Lakers. He entered the NBA directly from high school and won five NBA championships.
Among his numerous remarkable achievements, he was an 18-time All-Star, 15-time member of the All-NBA Team, 12-time member of the All-Defensive Team, and the 2008 NBA Most Valuable Player (MVP).
To celebrate Kobe’s rich legacy, we have selected 10 of his inspirational quotes on various on issues.
- “The beauty in being blessed with talent is rising above doubters to create a beautiful moment.”
- “The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great at whatever they want to do.”
- “My brain… it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I sit there and have to face myself and tell myself, ‘You’re a failure’… I think that’s almost worse than death.”
- “Pain doesn’t tell you when you ought to stop. Pain is the little voice in your head that tries to hold you back because it knows if you continue you will change.”
- “I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.”
- “When I was young, my mindset was image, image, image. I took that approach with the media. As I became more experienced I realized: No matter what, people are going to like you or not like you. So be authentic, and let them like you or not for who you actually are. At that point, I started keeping all of my answers blunt and straightforward. I would mix in some humor and sarcasm, too. I think fans and reporters came to appreciate that, came to appreciate the real me.”
The Mamba Mentality : How I Play.
- “When we are saying this cannot be accomplished, this cannot be done, then we are short-changing ourselves. My brain, it cannot process failure. It will not process failure. Because if I have to sit there and face myself and tell myself ‘you are a failure,’ I think that is almost worse than dying.”
- “Once you know what failure feels like, determination chases success.”
- “There’s a choice that we have to make as people, as individuals. If you want to be great at something, there’s a choice you have to make. We all can be masters at our craft, but you have to make a choice. What I mean by that is, there are inherent sacrifices that come along with that. Family time, hanging out with friends, being a great friend, being a great son, nephew, whatever the case may be. There are sacrifices that come along with making that decision.”
- “The moment you give up, is the moment you let someone else win.”